|Lucky you were not online at the time. It could have been you that isn't booting up.|
I agree that a surge protector or a power strip may not work. They tend to prevent a lot of problems in this situation but lightning is static electricity and can travel over air, plastic, moist wood or just about any surface. Only a complete metal cage that can survive the energy could prevent it.
You are better off with some sort control. Many strips and ups's offer a policy to pay you in the event their equipment fails to protect. It is well worth it to use them.
Why did it take me over a year to phone in a problem to ATT?