I have an old PC (specs below) which was not in use collecting dust till recent but now I wish to service and upgrade a few parts since the old laptop I have been using is giving a lot of problems. I got this gaming PC assembled in early 2004 and have played games such as Counter Strike, C&C Generals, and America's Army with no problems but later on kept giving me alot of problems mainly overheating and shutting down.
I don't want to go overboard with the upgrade since I'm not a big gamer no longer but would like to play games such as World of Warcraft and some older games on it.
I'm not willing to spend anything over $200 for the upgrade as I will probably be buying a gaming pc in the near future (probably in 1 to 1+ years). Any help with compatible hardware parts would be appreciated.
* GIGABYTE P4 TITAN SERIES 875P GA-8IK1100 (Rev 2.x)
- Not looking at upgrading the motherboard.
* INTEL P4 2.80CGHZ 1.525V max, 800-MHz System Bus, 512kb L2 Advanced Transfer Cache
- Not looking at upgrading the processor
* ATI RADEON 9800 Pro 128m
- Not looking at upgrading the graphic card
* KING MAX 256MB DDR400 X2 (512mb) RAM
- Will be upgrading the RAM to 2GB(1gb+1gb). I found the motherboard supports 'Dual Channel DDR 400 / 333 / 266 ECC'. Is there a specific brand I should go for which is not too expensive??
* ATX SM400 (12V=15A, 5V=25A, 3.3V=20A)
- Power supply definitely needs to be upgraded. I am sure this must not have been powerful enough to support my hardware, hence the constant hang ups especially during summer months. What would be a good (not too expensive) power supply to support my hardware? I will also need to fix a third fan to the side of the pc casing where there is a slot. I'm assuming it will also need to be a 24 pin power supply?
* H:17inches W:18inches Case, 8 USB drives (2 infront, 6 rear), 5 slots for hardrives, 4 slots for other drives
- I am assuming I have a Mid-Tower casing. Not looking at changing the case.
Other (not looking at changing these):
* Hard Drive 160GB + 120 GB (280GB) SEAGATE BARACUDA
* DVDR - Pioneer DVD16x, CD 32x
* CDR - 52x24x52
So basically im looking at upgrading just the power supply to support all of the above, as well as the RAM. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks