Articles

Overheated PSU.

September 26, 2009 at 05:42:58
Specs: Windows Vista (32bit)

Hi guys,

I have a quick question regarding my recently overheated PSU. Around a week ago I started to smell a funny burning smell coming from the back of PC and sure enough within 10 mins my PC shut it's self off...No nice Window's screen to say so just immediate power cut off. When I hit the power button to try and turn it back on, nothing. I slid the side of my tower off and removed the PSU and smelled the fan and vent and sure enough it had burnt out.
Yesterday I replaced the PSU, connected it all back up and fired my PC up and all the fans in my machine including the graphics card fan were spinning but no picture on the monitor. The graphics does require it's own power source from the PSU which it has and everything has been wired exactly as before the melted PSU failed me but I cannot get a picture on my monitor.

My question to you guys is this, is it possible that the old PSU (which was a very basic 500w) has damaged my graphics card or worse motherboard when it overheated. Just to mention the new PSU is 550w and of a decent spec.

Any help you guys could shed would be greatly appreciated


See More: Overheated PSU.

Report •


#1
September 26, 2009 at 05:48:55

make sure that you connected everything properly

to be sure, do it again

maybe some component has a confict with the psu

take out the ram and see if there are beeps

if there are no beeps, some part either is not connected or doesn`t have get enough juice

our patience is big


Report •

#2
September 26, 2009 at 05:56:27

Thanks, just pulled the memory sticks out completely and fired the machine up and no beeps - Is this bad??

Report •

#3
September 26, 2009 at 06:02:35

yeah, bad

some part doesn`t get enough power or doesn`t get power at all

means your PSU doesn`t deliver it

try reconnecting all hardware with the PSU

maybe you missed something...

our patience is big


Report •

Related Solutions

#4
September 26, 2009 at 06:18:18

There is a very good chance that when the power supply failed, it took the motherboard with it.

A good quality power supply should have shut down long before it got so hot that things started to burn. A low quality power supply that overheats to the extent that something burns can cause untold damage.

Stuart


Report •

#5
September 26, 2009 at 06:25:20

When a PSU fries, it's not uncommon for it to take out other components with it. It would help to know the specs of both the old PSU & the new PSU. I have no idea what you mean by the 500W was "very basic" & the 550W has "a decent spec". If you didn't pay at least $50 for your new PSU, it's very possible that you bought a cheap piece of junk. Regardless, if you're not getting any beeps & you're sure the cables are all connected properly, you either fried the board, the CPU or both.

Report •

#6
September 26, 2009 at 07:48:14

I have removed all peripherals including the Graphics card and booted the system up and there is no beeps?? Any help?

Report •

#7
September 26, 2009 at 08:05:36

most likely, like jam sad, mobo, or, cpu, or both..are fried, sorry to say

our patience is big


Report •

#8
September 26, 2009 at 08:18:58

Ok, I have tried putting each stick in individually and it boots up fine as well as booting up fine with both sticks in. When I remove the memory completely the computers beeps constantly. However for this memory test I have not had my Graphics Card (nVidia 8600GTS) installed and it doesn't beep with that removed? As my main indication that I had a fault was no picture would this mean a fried graphics card?

Report •

#9
September 26, 2009 at 08:20:18

fried or bad graphics card

our patience is big


Report •

#10
September 26, 2009 at 13:36:55

"I have tried putting each stick in individually and it boots up fine as well as booting up fine with both sticks in"

Define what you mean by "boots up fine"? Does that mean you get a display on the screen & can get into Windows?

"for this memory test I have not had my Graphics Card (nVidia 8600GTS) installed and it doesn't beep with that removed?"

Does your board has integrated graphics? If so, you wouldn't get beeps when the card is removed because the system would revert back to the onboard video.

It's very annoying that throughout this entire thread, not once did you list your system specs.


Report •

#11
September 26, 2009 at 15:50:52

Am sorry about the system specs:
AMD 64 X2 - 2.2Ghz
4GB DDR2
nVidia 8600GTS (suspected broken)
Seagate Sata 300GB HDD
MSI K9VGM-V Motherboard

When I turn the PC on, there is nothing on the monitor - Blank screen. As far as I am aware my motherboard doesn't have intergrated graphics. Since I replaced the PSU I cannot get anything to display on the monitor, so was thinking that possibly the fried psu took out the graphics card?


Report •

#12
September 26, 2009 at 15:57:20

The message above is from myself just using my friends account - Didn't realise he stayed logged in but it is my message

Report •

#13
September 26, 2009 at 18:57:39

"As far as I am aware my motherboard doesn't have intergrated graphics"

Really? See the "G" in the model number?

"MSI K9VGM-V Motherboard"

Take the card out & try connecting the monitor to the onboard video port.


Report •

#14
September 27, 2009 at 05:35:33

Thank you...I have done some more fiddling around with the machine and being a bit of a novice have been given some info which I would pass on to the forum.

-When I start up the PC without any of the memory sticks in I get a constant beeping sound.
-The PC will start up with one or both of the memory sticks in without any beeping
-When I try and put the graphics card in there is no beeping but also there is no display on the monitor
-The HDD light doesn't flicker on start up but just stays a constant yellow colour
-My mobo has integrated graphics and I have removed my graphics card in plugged the monitor into the mobo but on first try i got a white and grey flashing screen so I turned off and on and now am just getting a blank screen as i was with my graphics card

Any help would be appreciated


Report •

#15
September 27, 2009 at 07:06:03

"-When I start up the PC without any of the memory sticks in I get a constant beeping sound"

That's what it's supposed to do. That confirms that the board & CPU are good & that no RAM is present.

"-The PC will start up with one or both of the memory sticks in without any beeping"

That's what it's supposed to do. That confirms that the board & CPU are good & that the RAM is being detected.

"-When I try and put the graphics card in there is no beeping but also there is no display on the monitor"

No beeping means the card is inserted properly. No display would *appear* to indicate that the card is bad, possibly the monitor. You've mentioned that the card is an 8600GTS. Are you connecting the 6-pin PCIe plug to the card? It won't work without it.

"-The HDD light doesn't flicker on start up but just stays a constant yellow colour"

You don't need the HDD connected to troubleshoot this problem. Unplug it...both the data & power cables.

"I have removed my graphics card in plugged the monitor into the mobo but on first try i got a white and grey flashing screen"

Try another monitor.

BTW, you finally got around to listing your system specs but you never posted your PSU info. Just stating that it's 500W or 550W doesn't mean sh!t. There are 500W PSUs that sell for $15 & others that sell for $100 or more. We need to know the make/model of both PSUs, plus the amperage specs for the +3.3v, +5v & +12v rails.


Report •

#16
September 27, 2009 at 07:56:20

I took the time to look up your board:

http://www.newegg.com/product/produ...

Do you have a copy of the manual? Have you ever messed with the BIOS settings?

http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=p...


Report •


Ask Question