Yes, I agree on the court action if they don't sort me out.
I will try to have faith in them that they will make the correct decision replacing the equipment. If not, I will be in contact with a solicitor and health and safety ASAP.
As I said, the guy I spoke to last night said I 'd be sorted out so I will go today with that attitude and if they don't honour what he said then I will just change my tone and be out for blood. I'm not going to just go straight to threatening court action etc without giving them a fair chance to rectify.
Yes, thats the price range of the PSU I got and you're correct I should have paid more and get what you pay for.
Luckily, No damage done to myself. I'm very lucky as capacitor liquid hit my face and spectacles and the smoke I breathed in wasn't nice at all. It could have been someones eyes that. No excuse at all for it blowing up. None whatsoever.
I'm hoping they see me right with a better power supply because of what has happened but if not I will pay the extra. I will leave that to them to decide on their own.
I want to push for the parts to be replaced rather than the PSU upgrade as the parts are way more important price wise and otherwise.
I really hope it isn't a expensive lesson learnt as it isn't any of my fault :(
I will let you know how I get on. It may take 5-7 days for them to test the hardware. However with it blowing up in my face I hope they do it on the spot while I wait later today.
Hmm,I guess so...