|Have you, or is it possible anyone else has....|
- dropped this computer, or otherwise subjected it to a physical jolt ?
- spilled liquid on it, or exposed to to liquid such as rain or by spraying anything on it ?
If the answer is yes to either, a tech who posted here said that those reasons are the most common reason the mboard or other components inside the case need to be replaced because they are damaged.
A dead cpu - processor - is extremely unlikely to be the problem.
Even if the cpu was overheating for some reason, the mboard's bios automatically shuts off the mboard when the cpu temp goes above a max temp so usually it can't be damaged from overheating.
If the CPU IS overheating, and if that's the only problem...
- the computer will probably start up fine after it has a chance to cool to room temp, but eventually the cpu will overheat, you may then get weird symptoms in Windows for a short while, then the mboard produces one or more error beeps and it shuts off.
- if the mboard has shut off for that reason, either the computer will not start up at all, or it does start up but shuts off again within a few seconds, until the cpu has cooled to below some temp, then after that the computer will start up fine.
Common causes of the cpu overheating
- you are obstructing the passage of air into and out of the case base - don't use the laptop in bed, or on your lap if you're wearing loose clothing, unless it's placed on something flat.
- there may be too much dust and lint inside the base of the laptop - you may be able to see some of that where you can see cooling fins in a case opening if you use a flashlight there.
- if you've used the laptop a lot, the fan inside the laptop may be failing and not be spinning fast enough or at all.
Also, the bios will shut off the mboard within a few seconds after booting if the fan rpm is detected to be below a minimum speed or if it is not spinning at all.
Laptop no video (or video problems), and battery, AC adapter, power jack T shooting.
See response 1:
DO NOT plug in or unplug a monitor's video cable into / from a video port while the computer is running. Doing so can damage the monitor's circuits and/or the video adapter's circuits.
Some laptops will display on an external monitor without you having to do anything.
If you get no video on an external monitor, some laptops have a key combo that you must press to toggle the display to external video only / built in display video only / sometimes both - see the Owner's or User's manual for the model.
If there is nothing wrong with your AC adapter or it's connection and the jack in the laptop.......
Laptop main batteries usually work as they should for a year or so, then they begin to rapidly deteriorate. From what I've seen, by two years they cannot be charged to anywhere near their full capacity, and it gets worse after that.
They often develop internal shorts when they are older. If the battery gets HOT rather than just warm after you have attempted to charge it for at least a half hour, or after you have been using the laptop for a while with the AC adapter plugged in, it's definitely internally shorted and you must replace it. Internally shorted batteries getting too hot have been known to cause the laptop to catch on fire.
Tips about battery charging problems on Dell laptops - may apply to other makes.
See response 3 in this by iTech: