Laptop Overheating I Suspect

June 16, 2009 at 05:39:03
Specs: Vista, AMD 64 Dual Core
I have an HP DV2000 laptop.Here are the specs of the laptop... http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/notebo...

A few days ago, the laptop just turned off while I was using it. The laptop felt hotter than normal. I suspect the laptop overheated and shutdown. It didn't start up immediately. I waited a few minutes and was able to start it up again. About 15 minutes later, it shut down again. Suspecting it overheated, I took apart the laptop and replaced the thermal grease on the processor. (This computer was a bare compared to others I've changed it on.) I first took some alcohol and wiped off the old stuff and got the processor and heatsink nice and clean. Then I put more on it. Put the heatsink back. Put everthing back together.

I have a program monitoring the temperature. I didn't have it when the computer ran normal, so I don't know 100% sure what the right temperature is for the computer. But the computer runs between 80 - 95 degrees celsius while idling around 50-60% cpu. I think this is still too hot. The fan that is connected to the heatsink is working. It seems to be running higher than normal when the PC is just idling.

Any ideas what I can do to fix this?


See More: Laptop Overheating I Suspect

Report •


#1
June 16, 2009 at 05:45:23
Well I think you should get it check to a professional technician to have a proper cleaning.

Want A Weekly Update on Latest System Security Problem http://www.systemsecurityinstitute.org


Report •

#2
June 16, 2009 at 08:10:44
I'd rather not take it to a tech. Be honest, I'm just cheap. I did get the training and I am a certified HP tech. I've gone through all the training, have my A+ and a bunch of other certs... not saying I'm a genius at laptop repair though. I'm a network engineer so I work on networks all day. My job isn't repairing laptops... so I'd like to think I can fix this issue. When I took apart the laptop, there was no dust or anything clogging up the laptop. It was pretty darn clean.

I'm not trying to make myself sound too good. If I was an awesome laptop repair tech, I wouldn't be posting this.... but at the same time, I've had a lot more training than the average joe. At my last job, they made me become HP laptop certified but beyond the cert, I never was asked to repair laptops for them. But when it comes down to it, they're not that complicated. It just doesn't make sense if it's not dirty inside, I changed the thermal grease, and the fans all work, why is it overheating? Only other option I can think of is the motherboard is providing too much voltage to the CPU which causes it to run hotter. But I highly doubt it. And, maybe I'm just being over procautious... maybe 80-90 degrees celsius isn't hot at all for that processor. When I suspect it overheated, I wasn't running the program to see how hot it was at the time. I only know how hot it is running now and when I've found by Googling what the temp should be... but I haven't really found anything 100% concrete saying it should run between this and this temp and if it reaches such and such a temp, it is obviously overheating.


Report •

#3
June 16, 2009 at 08:27:25
I assume you blew out any dust while you had the case open? When you reapplied the thermal paste, did you just use a tiny dab about the size of a grain of rice? Or did you slobber it on you're making a peanut butter sandwich? lol

Find your CPU & have a look at the instructions:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/ins_rou...


Report •

Related Solutions

#4
June 16, 2009 at 09:45:33
I usually make a dot of it about size of a popcorn kernel... then when I push down the heatsink, it should cover the core pretty well.

Report •

#5
June 16, 2009 at 09:48:28
I definitely put more on it than in the pic of the link you sent me... but I've learned how much to put on in by what heatsinks come with out of the factory. Everytime I need to replace a processor under warranty for HP, they always send me exactly how much thermal grease I need. It's about the size of a popcorn kernel or a little more. I put it as a dot right in the center of the core and then put the heatsink on it.

Report •

#6
June 16, 2009 at 09:56:57
It's probably OK. I just wanted to make sure. Some folks lay it on pretty heavy!

Report •

#7
June 16, 2009 at 10:18:14
I'll admit, when I was an "amature," I covered the whole processor and not just the core. So I did make that mistake back in the day.

Report •

#8
June 16, 2009 at 11:44:00
Well, I just went home. My wife was using my computer. I was scared to leave it on but she left it on. Today it was running around 60 - 70 degrees celsius. That wasn't too bad. I guess I'd feel a ton better if someone else out there happened to have a DV2000 that was working rock solid and could tell me exactly what theirs runs at after it's been running for a few hours.

Report •

#9
June 21, 2009 at 05:54:50
So, I guess it's fixed. I took bought a can of compressed air and took it apart one more time. The fan on the heatsink didn't look that bad but I did seem to blow out a lot of dust that I didn't notice in the fins on the fan (the small aluminum fins.) I'm pretty much 99% sure that was the problem. Plus the thermal grease I used last time was probably 5 years old. I didn't know if it went bad after so long, I so cleaned off the heatsink and processor again and put new stuff on. It's running probably 20 degrees Celsius cooler now. It's averaging 40 to 45 C.

Report •


Ask Question