laptop cutting out

Hewlett-packard / 550
January 31, 2011 at 02:15:35
Specs: Windows Vista
Hi, I'd be grateful for any help, I'm not in the LEAST bit technical minded.

I have a laptop which has been working fine until last night, when I plugged it into another extension lead. As I went to plug it in, I noticed a few electric sparks fly out, then the laptop cut out. The laptop wouldn't restart at first but I tried after half hour and it was fine. It's now cut out a few times since, (plugged into usual socket). It doesn't seem to start up straight away, but will after 10 minutes or so.

I'm presuming it has something to do with the plug seeing as I saw the electrical sparks. Do I need to change the plug head? Or the fuse?!


See More: laptop cutting out

Report •


#1
February 2, 2011 at 09:57:30
The sparks could have caused a problem with the AC Adapter or Laptop PSU. Please check to see if there is an issue,

Tek Ideas Unlimited


Report •

#2
February 2, 2011 at 15:59:42
Thanks agalpha, can you tell me what PSU means and how would I go about checking if there is a problem with the AC adapter or Laptop PSU? Do you think changing the actual plug is worth a try? Much appreciated.

Report •

#3
February 3, 2011 at 04:41:31
PSU is a Power Supply Unit built into the laptop to keep it cool. You can try a different AC Adapter but changing the plug wouldn't make a different. And please also check your battery to see if its working fine. Turn the laptop on using the battery with the power disconnected.

Problem could be coming from
a) Battery - Run the laptop with the power disconnected to see if the battery is fine. If the Laptop does not boot up remove the battery and plug the power in and then boot directly from the power.
b) AC Adapter - Try a different adapter. You can borrow one from someone to check it first. If its a problem with it you can buy a new one.
c) PSU - You cannot check it yourself. Check for the other two issues and if the problem persists take your laptop to a professional. A repair shop or send it to the manufacturer if it is under warranty. Although you will have to pay for the repair as the problem is caused by a short circuit and your warranty would be void.

Tek Ideas Unlimited


Report •

Related Solutions

#4
February 3, 2011 at 07:16:48
Thanks so much, I will look into it as you have suggested.
Actually, for a while now, I noticed the battery power has decreased, but don't know if that's normal after some time (although laptop is only couple of years old at the most). Whereas before, it would run on battery for a good hour or so, now the battery power only lasts for about 2 minutes before cutting out! But it's not a problem for me to use the laptop from the mains (as I always do), so would the battery really make any difference or cause the laptop to cut out, when it's plugged into mains?

Report •

#5
February 4, 2011 at 11:49:23
As long as the laptop is plugged into the main power the battery does not and should not make any difference. But just to be sure check everything that I told you and reply back.

Tek Ideas Unlimited


Report •

#6
February 23, 2011 at 15:08:40
Just wanted to say thanks for your advice, I bought a new adapter and it's been working fine! :-)

Report •


Ask Question