Laptop adapter accidentially shortened while powering up

September 6, 2012 at 02:27:08
Specs: Windows 7, Pentium 4/ 2GHz
I was powering up my Acer laptop when my little sister accidentally stepped on the adapter where i'd plugged in the laptop. I saw some sparks on the adapter then the screen went white, then black and now it's not powering up. Is it fried?

See More: Laptop adapter accidentially shortened while powering up

Report •

September 6, 2012 at 04:24:46
You may just need to buy a new a/c adaptor (buy from Acer though, not a cheap compatible one from somewhere else and they are often unreliable).

However, if the bare wires in the existing adaptor have "shorted" together (ie touched each other) whilst it was plugged into the laptop, it may have damaged the motherboard.

If the laptop works on battery power alone (that's with the a/c adaptor NOT connected), there's a good chance it hasn't been damaged at all, in which case all you need is a new adaptor.

Report •

September 6, 2012 at 13:26:13
I am not sure what a little sister could step on that would cause a spark. You had better seek out a qualified electrician.

Report •

September 7, 2012 at 00:45:46
I tried changing the adapter and even tried another battery but nothing works.

Report •

Related Solutions

Ask Question