|I got it figured out. Thank you for the help. (drive was hooked up to cable)|
What I did:
I went out to buy an 80 conductor cable to allow for two drives at the same time and hooked up both on the same IDE channel.
Then had target drive (in this case E:\) run chkdsk at startup. This repaired a few things on its own. there were some errors, so on my next startup had to let it run its course a second time. (to get to chkdsk, start>run>type "chkdsk /?" then set to scan on startup)
Went into "cool tools" from XXClone, and chose boot test. This wrote an alternate boot.ini to root directory to command the source drive to give control to the target drive. (drives still hooked up internally via two connector 80 conductor cable)
Then I went into bios to check HDD config. Had to set Translation mode to LBA Assisted. Saved and exited.
System successfully identified all drives and booted from the target drive. XXClone took over and succesfully swapped drive letters. (target drive now became C:\ and source drive became E:\)
Then removed old drive (source) completely and set new drive (target) in place of old. booted system successfully off of new drive with no change apparent to user, other than increased drive space. :)
Thank you to:
Microsoft Tech Support