faint smell of metallic/burning/fireworks

August 27, 2011 at 20:47:23
Specs: Windows 7, Athlon II X2 255 3.1Ghz

My computer is pretty new, ive had it for 6 days in total. After i bought the computer i used it for 3 days, then I took it back to the shop for a repair because i smelled a burning / metallic / electric smell. they stress tested the PSU took it apart and checked all computer components.

They found no problems and told me there was no smell. I then take the computer home and after a few hours start smelling that same smell again, some kind of metallic odor mixed with a faint smell of something burning, very faint!

So me and my friend take out all case fans from the computer which is 2. and leave it on for 5-8 mins then we smell it and my friend described the smell as a faint smell of fireworks(now with no case fans the smell was abit less). So we turned the computer off and took apart the PSU, to check it out and smell it. To our own suprise it didint have any burning smell or anything coming from it, the PSU smelled very good actually, there was nothing leaking inside the PSU.

Then I proceeded to remove 1 of my case fans the one that blows air OUT, which is a coolermaster neon fan. and left it on for 15-20 mins. I didint smell anything so I took the computer home feeling very happy.

When I came home my room hade a electric stench so I cleaned everything and removed all my power adapter which didint smell all to good, and let some air into the room. After that i switched my desk to the other side of the room and connected my pc to that side of the room.

After about an hour and a half or something like that i start to feel that smell, still very faint. what differs now is that the smell dosent fill up the whole room, it justs around the area where i sit, in a very little radius!

Anyway, my pc runs like a dream, no lagg. Cooling is perfect!, I have no lagg during gaming sessions, no problems whatsoever when using the computer. Tommorow me and my friend will check the graphic card + CPU and really have a good look around the motherboard. Anyone have any experience like this? ive googled and only found some with simmilar problems but they all say the smell diffirent things, like in this case i smell metalic & burning smell and my friend just smells fireworks.

Computer specs:

Graphic : ATI Radeon HD6770
Processor : Athlon II X2 255 3.1Ghz
Motherboard: Asus M4N68T V2
PSU: FSP - FSP500-60AN - 500Watt - 85% effective
Case : Advance NeonXblade

My friend is fine with the smell and he describes it as he barley can feel it, but the smell bothers me as I have asthma and all kind of smells bother me, perfume etc.. I had another gaming comp for 4 whole years, and it never gave any kind of smell not even in it's dying moments.

See More: faint smell of metallic/burning/fireworks

Report •

August 28, 2011 at 10:03:03

1. Don't fool around with stuff you suspect may burn down your F(&*^&ing house and kill you in the process. Unplug it and remove it from your home. People die from fires more than from firearms. (dunno about that but think of it as similar)

2. Don't ever play with stuff that has a warranty. Return it.

3. Put all your computer stuff (wall warts, modems, routers and computer) on a power strip. When you are down actually using your computer, power it DOWN and turn off the power strip.

It was good of you to get a second opinion but trust your own judgement next time. When in doubt, play it safe. Same holds true on the road. You can do safe things.

Justin really needs to fix this point thing. Why on earth does a OP get points either plus or minus???

1/3 of highway deaths are caused by drunks. The rest are by people who can't drive any better than a drunk.

Report •

August 28, 2011 at 13:46:45
Could the problem be with the power strip or UPS (if you use one)? If not take it back to the shop. Tell them to keep it running until they too smell it.

Report •

August 29, 2011 at 22:28:17
With the computer stuff removed from the socket, try something else plugged in there, if you have a similar smell then turn off the circuit breaker to that outlet and get an electrician in to check it out, you may have wiring problems in your wall. This I say because you did not have the smell at your friends house. Jefro is very right that this could burn your house down so take this very seriously and look into BOTH possibilities As Soon As Possible.

You have to be a little bit crazy to keep you from going insane.

Report •

Related Solutions

Ask Question