Articles

computer shuts off when i tuch the case

February 20, 2010 at 19:01:23
Specs: Windows XP

hi i put together a new pc my old pc case was plastic the new one is metal a cm storm scout when i tuch the case the power shuts off and my fans kick on high i was serching on the web and someone said static electricity can make your pc shut off if its not grounded so i looked at my power strip and the ground was broke off so i replaced it with a new power strip think static electricity can make my pc shut off from tuching it if i dont have a ground on power strip

See More: computer shuts off when i tuch the case

Report •


#1
February 20, 2010 at 19:58:42

"...when i tuch the case the power shuts off and my fans kick on high..."

Huh ?
How can the fans spin if it has no power?
Do you mean you lose your video when you touch the case ?

If it's a desktop computer,
- did you use the old power supply with the mboard you have now?
- did you change mboards ?
- are your using a video card you weren't using before?
(Onboard video IS NOT A CARD ! )

- whatever your case is made of, there must a continuous ground of the AC connection from the computer all the way back to where the power comes into your house in order for the computer to work properly and to be better protected from static electricity discharges. The computer's power supply is grounded by that, and there are probably internal metal mounting parts in the plastic case computer that are grounded by that too, as well as there being metal mounting parts in the metal case computer that are grounded by that too.

- Can a static electricty discharge damage a computer ? - YES ! \
Is there wall to wall carpet made of synthetic fibres where you have the computer ?
(cotton dissapates static electricity)


Report •

#2
February 21, 2010 at 00:37:10

Are you saying the new power strip fixed things and you're simply reporting the details or do you still have the problem?

You're not really green until you're soylent green.


Report •

#3
February 21, 2010 at 09:21:41

yes it is fixed it was the ground on the power strip i was grounding it out when i tuched it

Report •

Related Solutions


Ask Question