Motherboard: Biostar NF4ST-A9 V1.0 MB
Processor: AMD Athlon G4 Processor 3800+
RAM: 2 Gigabytes of Corsair US1GB400C3
Video Card: Nvida GeForce 7950 GX2
Hard Drive(s): Barracuda 7200.7 80 Gigabytes… There’s also a 2nd hard drive that I cannot read the label on. Its an older one, and its pretty small, I’d say 15 to 20 GB. I’m not sure there’s even anything on it anymore.
Power Supply: Athena power ATX 420w P4-120V switching power supply
The problem: The computer shuts off somewhat randomly when I’m playing World of Warcraft. I haven’t noted this problem any other time while running the computer. It can be left on for extended periods of time and you can surf the internet etc without it turning off. It seems somewhat random when it shuts off as well. Sometimes it shuts off 30 minutes into me playing (and will then shut off every 15-30 minutes thereafter if I try to play again that night). Sometimes it runs all night with no issues, stretching across several days. In the most recent week it seems the former has been the case every night – quite frustrating... additionally, the past two nights the computer has frozen up while playing, causing me to turn off manually, then it will reset every 15 to 30 minutes thereafter. This only happened the past two days.
Things to note:
1. The computer has been brought to a shop several times since I built it. There have been several hardware issues. The first was a faulty motherboard. The second time was a faulty hard drive (some problem with it “arcing” I believe the guy explained to me). The third time was a power supply. Past experiences lead me to believe the problem I’m experiencing now is a hardware issue.
2. I’ve run all the antivirus software and ad aware software that I have and have found no issues, threats or viruses, so I’m led to the conclusion I highlighted in #1.
3. Since the last time I had problems with it, the side panel has been off and there has been a desk fan blowing into the computer. This mitigated a lot of issues for me, but it isn’t working any longer it seems. Additionally, the video card still gets very, very hot to the touch while the fan is blowing on it. If I put my hand onto it for more than 2 seconds it starts to really burn it.
4. Today I took some pressured air to the inside of it and attempted to clean out all of the fans and the entire computer as well as I could. It is also of note that I have not tried to run my game since doing this task.
5. I included the power supply in specs because I noted that it is a 420 watt power supply only today. My current hypothesis is that the power supply is not producing enough power to run my computer, but I wanted some more professional opinions (and suggestions) on what to buy before I went out and took this route.
I think that’s about the gist of what’s going on. If there are any additional specs/questions/comments that I need to make or post so everyone can assist me better please let me know and I’ll give it a try. Additionally, I will post again tonight if I find that the computer ran all night without resetting (again its making it only about 30 minutes before resetting recently).
I apologize for the long post, but I wanted to put all the info I could up front so someone can assist if they have the time. I appreciate any help anyone has to offer, and eagerly await replies. Thanks a bunch in advance!