Computer Beeps

April 10, 2009 at 18:48:47
Specs: Windows Vista
Hi, I have a question in regards to a computer that I purchased in early 2006.

I have a Gateway desktop with 4 GB DDR2 RAM, a 250 GB HD, a 400 GB HD, 6200 nVidia, 8600 GTS nVidia w/ 128MB DDR3 RAM.

When I boot my computer, I get three lengthy beeps, and the computer continues to run, however, it doesn't output anything to my monitor (I have three but since haven't ran all of them because of the issue. I do have an APC surge protector that I have used for the last couple of years that displays information regarding the power that is fed to the tower. When I plug in my surge protector, it displays faulty wiring. I'm wondering if that is the wiring in the building, or if it would be the wiring in my computer. Would a computer that doesn't receive enough power beep three times, or would it be something more serious then that.

It was working fine before I moved, but since I got to where I am now, it just doesn't work. Any advice on the issue would greatly help. It has never been worked on by anyone other than myself.

See More: Computer Beeps

Report •

April 10, 2009 at 22:21:27
Three beeps is usually a ram error . You should probably remove your ram, clean the slots with some compressed air and reinstall them.

If it's not the ram it's probably the video card. Remove and reinstall it.

Report •

April 11, 2009 at 07:38:20
Try reseating your video card, it may have worked loose during your move. Even if one end works out a little, it can appear to be seated but isn't.

Report •

April 11, 2009 at 10:04:33
I ended up working on the computer for a while. I gutted everything except 1 GB RAM, and ran the computer and got no beeps and continued to add parts back to the computer. What I found out is that my 8600GTS nVidia Graphics Card is fried. The fan runs, however, it doesn't keep cool due to it not being properly attached.

My goal over this next couple of days is to find a compound that will allow me to reset the fan on the graphics card. I would rather spend the little bit of money for the compound and be proven that it isn't working then forking out another 150-200 dollars for another card.

What get's me is that this card hasn't been overclocked and it's lasted me about 2 years. What can cause the compound to completely melt and create an overheated card?

Report •

Related Solutions

Ask Question