cables to connect 2 pc´s?????

April 18, 2005 at 06:18:56
Specs: winxp, 256

hi, i want to connect one laptop to another desktop pc that i have, i guess i have to "build" somekind of a network, but never done this.., and im not thinking in wireless,..
can you tell me wich cables can do this? if you could put a screenshot of cables that can do this it would help me more get a better "picture" of what im looking for, cus i have some cables here that i don´t know what they are for.. maybe i have them already..

and its just connect the cables or do i have to do something more??

See More: cables to connect 2 pc´s?????

Report •

April 18, 2005 at 06:32:22

The slickest way to do it, assuming both PCs have network cards - is to get a network cable called a 'cross over' cable. Wherever you get it from, make sure they don't try to sell you anything else. Not a patch cable, a CROSS-OVER cable.

stick one end in your desktop, one end in your laptop, then let the xp networking wizard do the rest.

Report •

April 18, 2005 at 06:38:59

If you are connected to the internet using a broadband connection I would recommend using a router instead of a crossover cable. Routers come in both wired and wireless versions. The advantages are these. First you can access the internet with either, or both computers without involving the other. Second, a router provides a hardware firewall, which is better protection that a software solution.

Report •

April 18, 2005 at 06:42:23


Yes, IF you have a broadband connection on one of those PCs, a router would be better.

Report •

Related Solutions

April 18, 2005 at 06:47:19

HI OtheHill, Good morning :-)

You wrote Second, a router provides a hardware firewall, which is better protection that a software solution.

IMHO it's always better to have both hardware and software FWs. A hardware FW does not block programs from accessing the net without your permission. This is where the software FW prevails.


Report •

April 18, 2005 at 07:07:31

hi and thanks for the replyes,
i have broadband connection, but my problem is the laptop is old, its an old computer that im still using for some work, and i need to tranfer that work to the other computer in a fast way , not floppy disks or recordable cd´s or internet, .. that old laptop, don´t have network card and its running win98 (450 mhz and 32 ram) , still i can use internet on it but whit usb cable....
the desktop pc runs winXp

i say i need make tranfers between in a faster wway than floopydisks, cd´s, internet, cus the amount of times that im planning doing this would make it "hard" and useless ......

1 , so no network card on one pc,..that method fails,

2 , router, don´t know what it is, it cheap?
can we find it anywere, any computer store ?
is it easy to connect to the 2 pc´s, ..its just connect and we´re ready? or we need to know a litlle more about hardware to make it work?

3 , is there any kind of a usb cable that can do this? and work whit both win 98 and winxp?


Report •

April 18, 2005 at 07:16:00

I believe you can transfer files over a USB cable but I have never done it. A router won't help you if you don't have a Network card on the Laptop. Someone else here can probably assist you with USB transfer. Also Serial or Parallel port transfers MAY be possible. I say may, because I am unsure of WinXP's abilities in this regard.

Report •

April 18, 2005 at 07:20:34

You will need something like this:

It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice...

Report •

April 18, 2005 at 07:20:53

One of the PCs on the network is a 486 PC with USB adapter and no NIC. I connected it to the network using what is called Broadband USB-Ethernet Adapter or something like that (hey its Monday!). It works just fine.


Report •

April 18, 2005 at 07:38:26

thanks, i guess it something like that i need and its +/- cheap .... it could be more ..
now i just hope it works whit both winXp and win98...

Report •

April 18, 2005 at 08:01:14

Just make sure you use the file transfer wizard on the XP machine when you get connected up with your USB cable. Should make it easier.

Report •

April 18, 2005 at 10:17:34

how about a USB flash/thumb drive? 512MB ones are cheap these days.

Report •

April 19, 2005 at 09:37:45

that drive usb flas/thumb is the pendrives?
maybe the other cable is more what i need ..but this pendrives can be really interesting for can you tell me if the transfer of files to and from pendrives are fast? its just like moving a file from a folder to another? or is it more like recordable cd´s where we have to way a little?

Report •

April 22, 2005 at 23:49:20

Just use a cross cable and get it over with.

Report •

April 23, 2005 at 03:03:43

Chxta, he doesn't have a network card on the laptop.

It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice...

Report •

lsufan1971 April 28, 2005 at 15:16:33

You can use a null - modem cable. It is a female to female 9 pin serial cable. Works the same as a crossover. Your workstation will have a 9 pin comm port and look at the back of the laptop and see if it has the same. You should be able to get a the cable at radio shack. If not by a regular 9 pin serial and get gender male to female gender benders.

Report •

Ask Question