AGP video card to use with windows 2000

September 20, 2009 at 04:55:22
Specs: Windows 2000

I am trying to keep this older computer humming and my video card died - need to replace it - I am Running windows 2000, (Pentium 4, 2.4 gHz, 2g ram), and am having trouble finding something that will work - since I have no monitor I have no way to load drivers before i plug it in so it has to work when I first boot it up I dont do gaming but I do a lot of high end graphics -- Suggestions ??

See More: AGP video card to use with windows 2000

Report •

September 20, 2009 at 05:45:24

What power supply do you have. The latest cards for agp bus have certain power requirements.

Report •

September 20, 2009 at 07:51:48

You don't have to load the drivers before the card is installed. Just install the card, connect the monitor, boot into Windows, THEN install the drivers. Windows will install generic video drivers when you 1st boot up - the new drivers will override the generic ones.

"I dont do gaming but I do a lot of high end graphics"

Generally speaking, they require the same type of card. Define what you mean by "high end graphics"? CADD? 3D rendering?

Are you 100% sure the card is bad? What are the symptoms? And what is/was the make/model of the 'bad' card?

Report •

September 20, 2009 at 08:55:20

Thanks for the inputs - pretty embarrassing that i know so little, but I really cant add all that much - the previous card was an ATI of some sort - the computer is a dell but the card was an option - the poser supply appears to be 250W - although it says 6Amps at 120 volts input which seems pretty high for only 250 Watts out - I will double check that - I believe it has two spare 8 pin connectors out -- the monitor has been sort of dimming out for about 8 months - it doesnt go out just gets an overall yellowish brown cast to it - when I would "wiggle" the line from the monitor to its connection on the card i it would be OK for a few weeks. This time it just went to the discolor mode and then went black. I assumed it was the card since it seemed to be a flexxing of the card / cable connection that would restore it.
My usage is for CAD, FEA, rendering etc. so I would agree that I am probably looking for something that a gamer might also be looking for.

Thanks for the responses - I would appreciate any suggestions

Report •

Related Solutions

September 20, 2009 at 11:24:11

With a 250 watt psu, you're not going to get a decent card. You need at least a 350 watt psu for a middle of the line card. If you decide to geta new psu, go to at least a 450 watt with a single 12 volt rail. Look at the Corsairs on Better see if it's compatible with a Dell.

Report •

September 20, 2009 at 15:56:48

Thanks - I was sort of afraid of this - i think what I will do is stick in something generic to at least get the monitor up so i can transfer a lot of files to an external hard-drive that is somewhat less than current -- and then - take the big step and buy something up to date - any suggestions on a good setup to get into the modern age

I would want to set up dual monitors and dual hardrives and I will need to d a lot of renderings and high end CAD stuff like ProE and CAM programming in 3 and 4 axis like Mastercam and NX

Thanks again - looks like time to bite the bullet

Report •

September 20, 2009 at 16:06:18

Something like this would work for that purpose. It's a PCI card (not pci-e). As far as a new machine, in your case you need to focus on the graphics capability along with the processor. All the new machines are dual core processors at the very least. PCI-E graphics are far superior to the old AGP cards, so shop around and get familiar with the new technology. Good Luck to you...

Report •

September 20, 2009 at 17:45:32

I asked for the make/model of the old card to get an idea of what your system would be capable of handling. A 250W PSU isn't necessarily bad, it would depend on the amperage specs.

Report •

September 20, 2009 at 19:04:25

Try another monitor first. It could be a loose connection in the cable connector.

Report •

Ask Question