|What kind of laptop, (Make & model #) ?|
You could boot into Recovery Console with an XP CD, then run chkdsk.
And you should test your HDD with the free manufacturers hard drive utility available from the hard drive manufacturers website to make bootable floppies or CDs to thoroughly test your hard drive surface area, mechanics and electronics:
- Seagate/Maxtor (Maxtor acquired by Seagate): Seatools.
- Western Digital: DataLifeguard.
- Fujitsu: Fujitsu Drive Test (FJDT).
- Hitachi/IBM: Hitachi Drive Fitness (HDFT).
- Samsung: (HUTIL).
- Toshiba (Fujitsu, Samsung or Hitachi utilities may work).
Just another stupid saying...