I have the same problem on: http://www.computing.net/answers/ha...
1. It is random, sometimes I power the laptop and everything is fine, and sometimes I power the laptop and I get those beeps.
2. Even though I get those 1 long, 2 short beeps, the laptop does actually continue booting, I once logged in (blindly of course since there's nothing displayed on the screen), and run a some commands (I logged into linux virtual console, so I can just use the keyboard), I was able to verify that I am actually running a normal system by running commands that would give a beep, or play some sound.
3. Sometimes when the laptop powers on without beeping (and, hence the screen working), the WiFi adapter is not detected at all !
4. I found that when the above issues (1&3) happen, if I cover the laptop with a blanket for a while, until it becomes a little hot usually does help with the next reboot !
5. I had this problem at the beginning of 2008, and I was then in the warranty period, so they replaced the motherboard, then this problem returned again about 2 months ago (November or December, the weather started to be really cold that time, which made me think of warming the laptop as mentioned in 4).
6. I checked the BIOS version, and I found it to be the correct version (F.3D) as in: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...
Now that I am out of warranty period, I dunno what to do.