Articles

CPU overheating shutdown

February 2, 2006 at 14:03:22
Specs: XP Pro, P4 2.8/1024

All fans are clear and spinning and heat sink and MOBO and fans are clear of dust. Computer does not continously run and has low to moderate use. Computer is approx. 12 mos. old and never has had any problems. Computer was let unattended for a few hours and was off by itself after those few hours. When booted up, it chimes and text reads "CPU was shut down due to a thermal event and to service" with some choices at bottom of screen: <F4> to run setup or <F12> to boot from the network. It will only stay on for about 5 seconds and then turn off. How should I approach fixing this problem. A visual inspection of things show no burning or smell from inside the case. Thanks in advance.

See More: CPU overheating shutdown

Report •


#1
February 2, 2006 at 14:32:26

are all the cooling fans working? Especially the CPU fan?

Hellz Yea!


Report •

#2
February 2, 2006 at 14:33:23

did you remove the HSF for any reason & possiblly reinstall incorrectly?

Hellz Yea!


Report •

#3
February 2, 2006 at 14:55:33

yes all fans working correctly and i Haven't done anything to the computer since it was built

Report •

Related Solutions

#4
February 8, 2006 at 23:21:23

Your issue is seating of the heatsink. I had a same problem. Those mounting brackets for the heatsink (P4-775-478) are not to be trusted. After my overheating problem ( over 90 C) I replaced those plastic craps with heavy duty hardware bolts, through the steel behind the motherboard. Even with cheep fan and heatsink - it does not cross 60 C.
Don't forget to apply a termal paste - just a film.


Report •


Ask Question