Aspire 4937G sudden shutdown(after cleaning)

October 28, 2011 at 22:38:21
Specs: Windows 7, Core 2 Duo P8400 2.26GHz / 2gb DDR3
I have a Acer Aspire 4937G for about two years.

Since lately i felt my laptop getting hot so i opened it up and cleaned the heatsink and cooler.
I did this cleaning process once in a few months whenever it's getting too hot cause' of the dust that accumulates inside it.

My previous cleaning result was fine, everything runs smoothly again as it should but this time my laptop starts to shutdown suddenly whenever i played games(as if i plugged out the power), any games from counter strike 1.6 to World of Warcraft to the SeriousSam in Chrome browser would cause this problem. Every time i started the game not 1-5mins then it just shutsdown.

Apart from games, i even have difficulties watching movies in WMP while having Chrome runing a few tabs.

I've tried assembling and reassembling my laptop a couple more times while following the service manual to ensure no errors but still the problem persists.

I even run a few memory test passes on my RAM to see whether if i've accidentally zapped my RAM when i'm taking apart my laptop but no errors were detected.

Is this an OS problem? Do i have to reformat? Is it because of overheating?

My laptop has a Nvidia Geforce G105M - 512mb graphics card


See More: Aspire 4937G sudden shutdown(after cleaning)

Report •

October 28, 2011 at 23:05:09
Sounds like the chip is overheating, you may have to use a cooler pad under it to help cool it off when you have the chip under stress like games etc. Make sure the vents are not blocked off when using it.

Report •

October 28, 2011 at 23:54:49
Yeah I'm using a cooling pad --> Cliptec RZK545

you can google it to see how it looks.

I even disassemble it yesterday and had all the dusts inside cleaned but still, my laptop continues to shutdown.

Report •

October 29, 2011 at 04:34:42
It sounds like you removed or shifted the heat sink either on the CPU , the GPU, or the chipset. You need to remove it, remove all old thermal compound and reapply it using the correct method. Look at this:
for detailed instructions.

You have to be a little bit crazy to keep you from going insane.

Report •

Related Solutions

October 29, 2011 at 07:28:48
There should be no need to open a laptop to clean out the dust. All you should have to do is blast canned/compressed air thru the cooling vents on a semi-regular basis. The fact that your laptop appears to be clogging up every few months would indicate that you're using it in a highly unclean environment. There's nothing any of us can do to help you with that other than to tell you to stop doing it.

If you have actually removed the heatsink from the CPU to clean it, you MUST remove the old thermal material & apply a fresh dab of thermal paste. The old thermal paste should NOT be re-used & fresh thermal paste MUST be applied correctly.

Report •

Ask Question